Translate

Wednesday 1 April 2015

Guest Post - First Time Mom - Preparation, labor, and what comes after.

Jen is a very dear friend, who I'm pleased to welcome as this week's guest blogger! She chats about being a mom for the first time and relives the good, the bad, and the ugly. She resides in Pictou and shares her cozy, country homestead with her husband Ted, 5 month old son Colton, and their 2 dogs, Maggie and Jake.
So, I'm a first time mom. It's taken me years and dollars to get here but I've made it! No one really tells you the truth about it (thanks, "friends" haha) so you don't know until you're in it. It's the hardest job I've ever had, and I've worked with troubled youth and drunks (which aren't all that different from each other). But it is also the most rewarding job I've ever had. I didn't know love until I saw this mini version of my husband and I. Life changing. I've learned a few things about preparation, labor and what comes after and I feel I should share them with my fellow moms and moms to be.
For me, pregnancy was the easiest part. Yeah you're worried, sleep deprived and hungry...none of that goes away. In fact, it's magnified...sleep is a thing of the past so get used to it. I promise you will learn to function on the least amount of sleep you've ever gotten in your life. You worry about EVERYTHING. His first cold, is he eating enough? Is he warm enough? Is he too warm? Even his poop. It's normal and you will figure it out.
A wise woman once gave me excellent advice, she told me not to worry, there is nothing you can do about it and everyone does it so the doctors and nurses don't care (I don't believe that) but you WILL poop while giving birth. Since I was numb of pain, I seriously thought about it half of the time I was in labor. I still don't know if I did because I didn't ask and I don't wanna know! I did, however, spray pee all over my doctor. TMI?
You WILL think you are a crazy person. You think pregnancy hormones were bad? I cried multiple times a day for a week and a half. I legit thought I was losing it. My wonderful public health nurse assured me it was normal and then I got over it. I realized I wasn't crazy and my husband is the most understanding man on the planet.
Some hot topics...circumcision, bed sharing and immunization. No matter who you talk to, there is always debate. According to the good ol world wide web, all 3 will kill your baby. I've done 2 out if the three and happy to say my child is still breathing (yay me). It's all personal preference and you will do what works for you and your baby.
Babies are loud sleepers. Like, super loud. Like there is a goat baaing and tooting in your bedroom. When they aren't waking the whole household, you will check their breathing. It's normal and they will grow out of it. Thankfully!
Breastfeeding is hard but, like a Jillian Michaels video, you have to try work through the pain. Soon enough you'll barely feel it (unless your baby dramatically pulls away and takes your nipple with them) and it's worth it. Nipple cream is your best friend...apply generously. And if you can't, or decide not to breastfeed, don't feel guilty or let anyone make you feel guilty. Your kid is being fed and that's all that matters.
Prep two months in advance. ..pack a bag, make food you can freeze. Packing while panicking isn't good. You'll end up taking something useless like sunglasses....and you'll forget important things like the thickest pads on the planet. If you don't prep food, you'll be living off toast and cereal because it's easy.
Don't read books...ok do, but know that just like adults all babies are different. What works for your friend's baby may not work for yours. My pediatrician told me I am the expert of my baby...I'm getting there!
There is so much more, and there is more for me to learn, but there is a few to get you started
Happy mothering! Jen



Jen and her husband Ted
Colton at 5 months



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...