Translate

Tuesday 23 July 2013

Snack drawers

Now that all my kids are home on summer vacation, there is alot of snacking going on. Seriously, they eat every hour, it's exhausting for a mom of 4. They want a snack while they're watching a movie, a snack to take outside, and a snack to have on the way to the beach. Making up snacks is alot of work, and depending on what the snack is, the cleanup can be just as tiresome.

Two words. Snack drawers.

Why didn't I think of this before? Having ready made snacks available for the kids is a fast and easy way for them to feed their hunger, without having to lift any of my fingers. I usually do have the pantry stocked with things like granola bars, and single serving packages of goldfish. But I wanted to have some healthier options and more of a variety. I wanted snacks that were easy to eat, and didn't cause much mess. Taking an hour on grocery day to make up a week's worth of snacks is time well spent. Then I don't have to worry about making snacks until next grocery day.

For the fridge, I put together ziploc bags of all their favourite fruits and veggies. Grapes, blueberries, strawberries and carrots. Yogurt tubes are a great idea, because you don't need utensils and they can eat them with just one hand while on the run. We keep ours in the freezer to keep them cold for hot days. I always stock up on juice packs when they are on sale, they're an easy drink for kids to grab on the go.







For the pantry, I still bought the single serving goldfish packages, apple sauce and granola bars. I also put together some baggies of dry cereal and popped popcorn.





More ideas for your drawers:
Raisin boxes
Trail mix
Pretzel sticks
Fruit cups
Clementines
Cheese sticks

I'm all about making life easier !

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea Brooke. I think I need to make these for myself - I'm sure I would eat healthier if was easy to grab fruit or veggies out of the fridge, already washed and prepared!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...